Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hell

I had a very hellish day of teaching my 10th graders. Not only was the class just awful, but it was even worse because I was being observed by one of my own teachers in the program. When we talked after class, I totally cried. I felt so miserable. And I was so embarrassed. I have had a couple of really fantastic days with my eleventh graders, but of course, had to be observed on a shitty day with the sophomores.

As awful as it was, it was actually very productive. We talked a lot about what was going well and what was not so great in each of my classes and I realized that my big issue with my sophomore classes is that I am just not comfortable teaching them. I don't feel as comfortable with the material and I don't feel comfortable with the 38 fifteen year-olds that I have to teach it to. I then had an epiphany and realized that the reason that I am uncomfortable is that I am trying to be someone that I am not. I am trying to hard to fill this very standard version of what "good teaching" looks like and it's way too formal and way not me. So, I have made some decisions about how to now approach the class and how I can do so in a productive way by being myself and not who other teachers think I should be. It really works for me with my Juniors and I am hoping it will be the same for my sophomores. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Trent and Cas said...

That is awful! I can't believe those kids! I am glad you had an epiphany because you are right...you are not some rudimentary by the books teacher. You are an awesome one! With great ideas! So use them!

Trent and Cas said...

you'd be so proud of me and my vote today!? :)