Monday, September 15, 2008

Election 2008

Last year at this time, I was going crazy with election fever. Those of you who know me know that I am a huge Hillary fan and at that time her campaign was on a roll and I couldn't have been happier. At this time, however, I am less excited that I was before. After Obama received the nomination I sort of withdrew from my interest in the election. I just didn't think that he was as qualified as Hillary was (is) and I knew that I would not have an easy time supporting McCain, so I just stopped caring.

I care a little more now, after the selection of the VPs for both parties. Though I agree with Ed Rollins, and millions of others, that Obama should have picked Hillary to be his veep, (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/08/rollins.convention/) I feel ok about the selection of Biden; at the very least he adds experience to the previously lacking ticket. I definitely feel better about the Obama-Biden ticket than the McCain-Palin ticket.

Palin! PALIN! Really!?!? Not to say that I was likely to support the Republican party anyway, but now, there is not a chance in hell! PALIN!? I just can't beleive it! First of all, I just find the selection insulting; McCain was trying to reach out to the disenfranchised women in a post-Hill election- and he gives us Palin!? INSULTING! I don't just want a woman in office- I want a qualified woman and Sarah Palin is not that woman. Not only is McCain's choice insulting to women, thinking that we will support her simply because she has a vagina, but it is also absolutely absurd. She lacks any foreign policy experience (I hate to mention the whole "next to Russia" thing because the joke is just too easy, but come on! REALLY?!); she has a history of inconsistant policy-making decisions (look up her views on the Bridge to Nowhere), is seemingly unconcerned with the environment (supports drilling in ANWR, has fought putting various animals on the endangered species list, does not believe that global warming is caused by humans, etc...), supports ineffective abstinence-only education... She inquired into banning library books, and instead of supporting and expanding their town library and museum, she instead supported the building of a sports complex. GRRR!! She really infuriates me. I find it terrifying to think that she might be only a heartbeat away from being the president. Aside from her being a dynamic speaker, I really don't know what she adds to the Republican presidential ticket.

And so, I support Obama-Biden and hope that others do the same. Actually, vote for whoever you want, just please Please PLEASE do your research first! (oh, and don't vote for Sarah Palin!) :)

3 comments:

Shanna Blythe said...

Not to sound uneducated in this (which I actually am so I guess I would have to sound uneducated), but I really don't think that presidents have nearly as much power as we give them credit for. I really, really believe the power lies with Congress.

Anyway. My husband is in the public transportation business and I'm in public education and I'm going to go for the party that, historically speaking, is best for those two things, regardless of the candidates . . .

E-ca said...

Hey stranger!
Yay Obama-Biden! I can't imagine supporting the McCain-Palin ticket. I too find it insulting and I'm not even a huge Hillary fan. I am amazed at how many people vote one way or another just because- without doing their research first! I would rather have people like that just not vote so those of us who are willing to do the research can actually make a difference!

What have you been up to?!

Crystal said...

Haha thanks for your comment. And I totally agree just cause there was a good speech doesnt mean they'll be a good leader. Anyway, thats why I said I needed to do more research before I choose who I'll be voting for. And honestly, the first time Id heard about her was her speech, cause they busted into America's Got Talent, that I was listening to with the Republican Convention. Since then I've learned more about her from the news and stuff. Seriously, I just dont want to vote for anyone who acts like a middle schooler and calls their opponent names and stuff. Why would I want anyone that immature in control of our country? Welp I dont, maybe I just write myself the litte line on the ballot, haha not really, I never want that job. So you going to watch ER with us on thursday? I miss you so you should go!