Sunday, September 7, 2008

Meow Meow

Well, life is pretty standard right now. I am back in school. Crazy, eh? When I was coming home from Europe in June I decided that I would really like to be able to travel on a regular basis and that to do so I needed a better financial base. So I decided that I would teach in Utah for a year to save some more money and pay off some debt. Unfortunately, I made this decision too late and I was not able to find a teaching job. At first, I completely freaked out- i had no idea what to do with myself. Fortunately, a solution came to me rather quickly and I cancelled my graduation application and decided to go back to school to get a minor in English Literature. I am taking three classes this semester and after that I only need three more classes to complete the minor. I might take them all next semester or I might take one class next semester and finish the last two classes in a five-week study abroad program in London. It is a little crazy to back in school because I thought that I was all finished, but it is nice. I didn't know how to be a bum for a year and do nothing progressive with my life, but I definitely know how to be a student.

As you may have been able to garner from several of my previous posts and just from knowing me, I am kind of a book nerd so getting an English minor is perfect for me. I had actually wanted to do it from the very beginning of my college career, but between transferring schools and switching majors I just didn't have time for it. Haha, I definitely have time for it now. It is also nice because aside from just being a personal interest, an English minor might also help me get a job. Once I finish the minor I am going to take, and hopefully pass, the English Praxis and will then be able to teach English as well as history which would pretty much be awesome. So, I am going to finish the minor and graduate (for real this time) then hopefully teach in Utah for a year to save some money, and then, finally, I will hopefully be able to head back to the east coast.

So, I am back in school, still working my job of three years, starting a part-time nanny job and will begin substitute teaching in October. I am having a great time hanging out with my family and friends, looking forward to more travel (five weeks in London, plus side trips to Scotland, France, Ireland, and maybe Turkey). Though I was looking forward to moving out of Utah, life is good right now, and I am actually feeling okay about putting my moving plans on hold.

4 comments:

Trent and Cas said...

really? a nanny job? what brought this out? and when?

Nathaniel and Sarah said...

Well I am very happy that you will be in Utah for another year so I can FINALLY see you again!!!! Because I haven't in YEARS!!!

Tecia said...

A nanny job?! But you don't like kids that much. Well I guess everything has a price on it right.:) Well hope you are doing well and maybe I will be able to see you sometime if your schedule permits!:)

Shanna Blythe said...

I'm glad that things are working out . . . perhaps this is what you really needed to do all along??!!! I mean as far as going back to school!!