Wednesday, June 20, 2007

grabe

The “Big Six” is a set of six skills for solving information problems. The individual skills of the “Big Six” enable students to identify the nature of the problem, locate, process, organize, apply information resources to the solution, and evaluate the success of the solution. The “Big Six” not only helps students solve information problems in school settings but also in real life settings.
Teachers can use the "Big Six" as a way to direct assignments and research projects. I think that teachers often use these strategies without even knowing it; I know that for myself I recognized the process without even realizing that I had ever learned it. I think it would be great for teachers to make the process explicit, however, because if students can be conscious of it they can be conscious of when to use it and when it works.

No comments: